Attorney Gerard Karam has been handling criminal defense cases and civil litigation claims throughout Northeastern Pennsylvania for decades. A former Chief Public Defender of Lackawanna County (1994-2003), Attorney Karam has successfully represented individuals who have faced an array of criminal charges in both federal and state courts, including: homicide, assault, drug offenses, DUI, sex offenses, white collar crimes, bank fraud, tax-related matters, public corruption, and computer-related offenses. He has represented clients from all walks of life – from union laborers and students to attorneys and doctors to elected officials and members of our judiciary.
Attorney Karam has been the lead counsel in multiple civil litigation cases that have resulted in a verdict or settlement of $1 million or more. This led to his admittance in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Attorney Karam has also received an AV Preeminent peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell and a 10 rating by attorney referral service AVVO. He has been named by the National Trial Lawyers Association as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer for Pennsylvania and has been named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer for the past nine years.
Attorney Karam is a past president of the Lackawanna Bar Association, a certified Mediator for the Lackawanna Court of Common Pleas, a certified Act 120 instructor, and a member of the Drug Court Development Team of Lackawanna County. He is also a member of the Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, the Northeast Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association (as well as past director), and the Pennsylvania Bar Association. He is the past director of the Lackawanna County Pro Bono Inc.
For the past 15 years, Attorney Karam has been a board member of the Boys and Girls Club of Northeastern Pennsylvania, serving as president since 2017. He is also a board member of the Children’s Advocacy Center of Northeastern Pennsylvania and for Drug and Alcohol Treatment Service of Lackawanna County. Attorney Karam has been past director of the Franklin Security Bank, the Diocese of Scranton School District, and the St. Claire’s School in Scranton. He is a past president and member of the Scranton Preparatory School Alumni Board of Governors.
- Loyola University, J.D., 1987
- St. Joseph’s University, B.S., 1984
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U. S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer by Philadelphia Magazine
- Top 10 Criminal Law Attorney by National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell®
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Chief Public Defender of Lackawanna County for 10 years
- Lackawanna Bar Association (Past President and Director; Past Chair Criminal Rules Committee)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Northeast Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association (Past Director)
- 15 Year Board Member and Current President of Boys and Girls Club of Northeastern Pennsylvania
- Board Member, Children’s Advocacy Center of Northeastern Pennsylvania
- Board Member of Drug and Alcohol Treatment Services of Lackawanna County