Attorney John J. McGovern Jr. has been practicing law in Northeastern Pennsylvania since 2001. Attorney McGovern is a graduate of Villanova University School of Law. He received his undergraduate degree from Holy Family University, where he received a Bachelor of Arts in Accounting.
Prior to practicing law, Attorney McGovern served as a special agent in the Internal Revenue Service’s Criminal Investigative Division. He also worked as a forensic accountant in a Philadelphia accounting firm, a premium accountant for Medical Inter-Insurance Exchange, and a staff accountant for Philadelphia Insurance Companies.
Currently, Attorney McGovern specializes in Estate Planning and Administration, Tax Controversies and Preparation, Business Planning and Representation, Securities Litigation and Arbitration. He is licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania. Attorney McGovern is also a Certified Public Accountant in Pennsylvania and Maryland.
- Villanova University, J.D., cum laude, 2001
- Holy Family University, B.A., Accounting, magna cum laude, 1993
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
- Middle and Eastern Districts Courts of Pennsylvania.
- United States Tax Court.
- Certified Public Accountant- Maryland 1998, Pennsylvania 2004
- Associate in Insurance Accounting and Finance- Insurance Institute of America 1994
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer- Tax 2015, 2016, & 2017
- Lackawanna Bar Association Exemplary Service Award- 2012, 2017, & 2020
- Pennsylvania Providers Coalition Association- Founder’s Award 2018
- Lackawanna Bar Association- Past Treasurer and Board of Directors
- Lackawanna Wills for Heroes Committee- Past Chair, Presenter, and Committee Member
- Steamtown Marathon (SMA Inc.)- Race Committee, Secretary and Board of Directors
- North Penn Legal Services- Treasurer and Board of Directors
- Friends of the Poor – Treasurer and Board of Directors
- Nights of Columbus #13025- Treasurer and Past Grand Knight
- Accountant/Auditor for Lackawanna County Orphan’s Court
- Receiver/Sequestrator/Liquidator for Lackawanna County Court of Common Pleas
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority Board of Arbitrators
- Trustee for Lackawanna County Court of Common Pleas
- Executor/Administrator for Register of Wills in Lackawanna, Luzerne, Pike, and Columbia Counties